SIA Ventspils Siltum, Multitutility of Ventspils City (Latvia) is in charge of managing the urban district heating. In 2014 Ventspils Siltum commissioned W.T.E. to carry out the technical-economic feasibility study to revamp an existing furnace-boiler, originally designed to be fed by coal following Russian technology. To reduce coal consumption W.T.E. studied the conversion to RDF and/or biomass. To comply with European Environmental Norms (EEN) the project of a new suitable air cleaning system was included in the scope of work.
- Performance analysis of revamped boiler to verify co-firing possibilities
- Boiler and auxiliaries revamping design to allow RDF firing, RDF/coal or RDF/biomass co-firing
- New gas cleaning system designed to be in compliance with European Environmental Norms (EEN)
- Check of the energetic efficiency of the revamped system
- Preliminary evaluation of furnace behaviour fed with different fuels mixtures
- Budget of the initiative